Grand Rapids Township was first organized in 1834. The Township was known as the Town of Kent. Rix Robertson was the moderator and the State of Michigan designated Grand Rapids Township in 1842. The township is located on the east side of Grand Rapids that runs close to M44 or the East Beltline. The township includes Fredrick Meijer Gardens & Sculpture Park, Kuyper College, 80-acre Knapp Forest Preserve, 45-acre Provin Trails Nature Park. The Township also includes 3 schools districts, East Grand Rapids, Forest Hills and Northview.